Our Philosophy of Athletics
HLS offers a program of interscholastic sports designed to:
- Glorify God with the physical talents/abilities with which He has blessed us.
- Provide a unifying activity open to the entire school community through participation as a team member or spectator.
- Provide an atmosphere for personal growth/development among students.
- Contribute to the development of school spirit.
At HLS, athletic excellence shall include the following personal benefits:
- Develop the concept of teamwork placing cooperation & team goals ahead of personal achievement.
- Develop confidence and the ability to deal with adversity.
- Develop control of emotions in tense situations.
- Develop the ability to handle success and failure with class and humility.
- Provide athletes with a thorough knowledge of fundamentals skills and impress the value of consistent preparation and effort.
We emphasize and honor the fundamental skills; persistence, dependability, dedication, self-control, and teamwork. We desire to provide opportunities for students to develop character, athletic skills, teamwork, and sportsmanship. The natural competition inherent to sports allows many opportunities for growth for players both physically and emotionally.